Thursday, January 19, 2012

Gutter Tales

Need something to keep your mind off the fact that you're running?  Look no farther than the curb.  Every day I'm amazed at the variety of objects I see on the roadside.  Just this morning after spying a flattened wrench in the bike lane, I came across an abandoned scooter that I know some poor kid will be frantically searching for this afternoon.  This was followed by discarded Starbucks, Jamba and McDonald's cups--only two that I looked longingly at.  Several wayward citrus varieties were scattered about (not out-of-the-ordinary for California).  Then there was the roadkill that I couldn't determine the genus or species of no matter how close I looked.  Whatever it was, it never made it across the road.  I like to think that the almost full pack of Marlboro cigarettes was tossed out a car window when its owner gave up smoking for good.  I nearly broke into song when I came across a red SOLO cup (country-western fans, you know the tune).

My point?  LACE UP and look down.  You never know what you might find.

No comments:

Post a Comment