Thursday, March 15, 2012

Treadmill Trick

Running on a treadmill is just about my least favorite way to exercise.  I'm not sure why I dislike treadmills so much.  Maybe it's because I don't like working out inside, or maybe it's the thought of losing my balance and flying off the end that feeds my loathing.  For whatever reason, deserved or undeserved, I don't like treadmills.  On occasion, however, I've had to use one.

There definitely is a skill to treadmill running.  Until recently, I had always been amazed by runners on treadmills that were able to run at high speed, full stride, for extended amounts of time, without ever having to look down.  Like poetry in motion, they charge confidently on without a downward glance until their time is up.  Getting an intense workout in while watching The Today Show or Ellen seemed like a great altenative to running outdoors, but anytime I stepped on a treadmill and got up to speed, I could only manage to make quick glances up at the screen, and spent the majority of my time staring at my feet, afraid that I'd lose my balance and hit that rotating belt hard.  Sure, I could hold onto the sides, but that's considerably easier, which means I'd have to workout longer.

THE SOLUTION
After many frustrating attempts, I finally discovered a solution to my treadmill dilemma.  I found if I increased the incline substantially, I didn't feel off balance and could run at a decent pace with my hands free and my head up.  I could watch tv!  Sure, constantly running uphill wasn't easy, but if I could watch what was going on instead of just listening to the tv, my treadmill minutes were a lot more bearable.  So, if you're a treadmill klutz like me, try boosting the incline and see if that helps.  It's worth a try.

LACE UP and step on!

No comments:

Post a Comment