Monday, March 5, 2012

Complimentary Run

When you saw the title of today's blog, I hope you didn't think you were getting an extra day off--that's not in the plan.  By complimentary run, I didn't mean you get a free day.  On the contrary, I'm going to  give you an extra job on your workout today.

After realizing how good it made you feel to greet your fellow man (or woman) yesterday, today I challenge you to go a step further and add something onto the "hi".  Notice something special and make a point to mention it as you're running by.  I'm not talking about a long soliloquie on how the color of their shirt coordinates with their eyes and pulls their whole ensemble together, or how awesome you think their parenting skills are by how well behaved their children are.  Something simple will do, like, "nice hat" or "impressive dog".  Maybe you pass someone out working in the yard--let them know you've noticed their effort by saying, "looks great".  If you wander by a mom who bravely ventured out on the trail pushing an infant in a stroller while corralling two preschool boys, throw some kudos her way and say "wow, they're having fun".

I'm sure I've already lost a few of you who have determined this is not for you.  Don't hang up the phone yet.  It's easier than you think.  If you saw people light up when you merely said hello, wait till you see their faces when you compliment them on something specific.  They glow.  You'll feel like Santa on Christmas Eve, spreading good cheer from house to house.

I've been the beneficiary of unsolicited compliments on my runs, and I can say, they always make my day.  For example, one day I was feeling particularly slow going up a steep hill, thinking I probably looked pretty dead when a man coming down said, "Great pace".  I don't care if he was lying or not, those two words made getting to the top of that hill a lot easier.  I felt great the rest of the way.  I won't bore you with numerous similar tales, but I can vouch for the fact that a few nice words can have tremendous impact.  Without a doubt, they make a difference.

LACE UP and spread the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment