Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Art of Passing

Nothing wrecks the blissful solitude of a run like spying another runner up ahead, heading the same direction.  The fact that they materialized in your path is a pretty good indication that you're running faster than they are and will overtake them at some point.  For those of you that love competition, having a target to catch is a welcomed sight.  Giving you an added thrill as you pick up the pace, you enjoy every second as you strive to overtake your unsuspecting victim.  With your target in sight, you blow by on the left, perhaps offering a friendly "Good morning" as you speed by at a faster than normal pace, all the while keeping your breathing under control so it appears that you're not exerting extra effort.  Then comes the hard part.  You must keep up the pace so there's absolutely no possibility that runner will overtake you down the road when you run out of gas from the extreme effort you put into the pass.  You threw down the glove, and must pay the price or die trying.  Whatever you do, don't look over your shoulder.  An obvious sign of weakness, your competition will see that chink in your armor and go in for the kill.

If you're like me, on the other hand, having someone up ahead is a nuisance.  An inevitable part of running in a populated area is having to deal with traffic.  I don't like having to pass people and will do whatever I can to avoid it.  Crossing to the other side of the street is always a good option if I'm on a road.  If I'm on a trail, I may take a side route to avoid passing someone, but sometimes there are no other options and a pass is unavoidable.  If I do have to pass, I try to be friendly about it and say something encouraging.

I don't mind being passed, myself, especially by fit looking runners that carry no extra weight on their lean, young frames.  As they run by at an impressive pace without seeming to exert much effort, it reminds me of my younger years as a competitive runner.  Those days are long gone for me now.  What does bother me, though, is the occasional runner, usually male (sorry guys, but it's true), that approaches from behind, gasping for breath, exerting supreme effort to pass the ponytail in front of them.  When I hear this runner coming--believe me, it's obvious--I slow my pace a little and allow them to pass.  Then comes the fun part.  I stay right on their tail for the duration, which is usually much longer than they counted on.  Sometimes they last and sometimes they don't.  If you're going to pass me, you better be able to go the distance.  Maybe I am more competitive than I thought.

LACE UP, get going, and if you have to pass, whatever you do, don't look back!

No comments:

Post a Comment