Friday, March 16, 2012

The Rain Gang

For the past three days, California has been hit with wet weather.  Because of the relatively dry winter we've had, we desperately need rain, but after three days of slogging along in the rain, I'm getting a little tired of working out in the wet.  The first day was mildly enjoyable--a change is always good--but after suffering through a couple more days of rain, I'm ready for sunshine.  Unending drizzle is depressing.  Even with the appropriate rain gear, I get pretty wet and miserable.

When I venture out in the rain with my baseball cap and water-resistant jacket, I don't see many other runners out on the road, but whoever I do see invariably has a big smile on their face and a knowing look when our eyes meet.  That look either admires the dedication we both have, or acknowledges the fact that we're both a little crazy.  Whichever it is, there's an instant bond formed.  We're part of "The Rain Gang" and we're proud.  This camaraderie helps keep me going when the rain is relentless, with no end in sight.  Last spring during a particularly rainy week, I actually had people cross the street and run with me on two separate occasions.  If the rain wasn't pounding down, they never would have crossed.  We had plenty to talk about--I hardly noticed the wet weather during the half mile or so we ran together.

If the rain is getting you down, remember, it won't last forever.  Sunny skies are somewhere on the horizon.  In the meantime, keep running.  You never know who you might inspire.

LACE UP and may "The Rain Gang" grow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment