Thursday, March 22, 2012

Extend Shoe Life For Runners

Shoes are the most expensive piece of equipment the average runner will by.  At close to $100 for a decent pair, they require a substantial investment.  After choosing to spend that kind of money on a pair of shoes, I want to make sure I get every last mile out of them I can--I'm sure you do too.

We all know shoes don't last forever, especially when you punish them day after day, mile after mile.  The relentless pounding wears out tread, compresses padding, and tears apart uppers.  Here are three products I use to get the most miles out of my money:

Insoles
The repetitive force of your foot landing each stride eventually compresses whatever cushioning your shoes had to begin with.  A new pair of insoles at around $20, will add some bounce and give you a few more miles of comfort.

Socks
As I said in my post on Feb. 15 (Oh, My Aching...), don't underestimate the power of a good pair of thick socks.  The JMM micro mini-crew by Thorlo has the most padding I've found in a pair of athletic socks.  Thorlo produces one product--socks--and has put 25 years of research into making this product the best it can be.  If your shoes are near the end, switch to Thorlo.  The difference is like night and day.

Shoe Goo
Created in 1972 by physicist Lyman Van Vliet, Shoe Goo, is a strong, thick, durable adhesive designed for repairing shoes.  Useful for repairing holes in both the soles and uppers, Shoe Goo is virtually indestructible--it's made to last.  If you're wearing through, get the goo.

Keep those shoes alive and LACE UP! 

No comments:

Post a Comment