Friday, February 24, 2012

Landscaping Help

Gazania
Want a fresh new look for your yard this spring?  Do some research while you're running.  What better way to find out which plants do well in your area than to gather evidence in your own neighborhood?  You know those yards with well established gardens and great curb appeal that always catch your eye?  As you're running by, make a mental note of which annuals and shrubs they used, then give those a try.  That's much more effective than making a choice in the protective environment of your local nursery, only to find out weeks later as you're digging up the shriveled remains of that once beautiful plant, that your choice was not wise.  Let your neighbors go through trial and error, while you reap the rewards.

I've used this strategy numerous times.  For my areas without automatic irrigation, I knew I needed something drought resistant and hearty.  While running by the surrounding houses, I looked for flowering plants by the curb where the sun was relentless, with no sprinkler heads in sight.  Several varieties and colors of low growing gazania seemed to thrive in the worst conditions--I knew they'd be a safe bet.  I also noticed beautiful African irises.  With their tall narrow leaves, most of the year they look like an ornamental grass.  Although the blooms are short-lived and last only a day, they bloom continuously from early spring to late summer and survive in extreme heat with very little water.

From my careful research on the road, I now have a yard full of thriving plants that require very little maintenance.  It's just about time to buy annuals again.  I think I'll wait and see what the neighbors plant before I do my shopping.

LACE UP, take notes, then get planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment